- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Cheddar Chicken Chowder Recipe
|Onion||1⁄2 Small, finely chopped|
|Chicken broth/Vegetable broth||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Beer/Dry white wine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Water||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Dijon mustard||1 Teaspoon|
|All purpose flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Boneless skinless chicken breasts||1 1⁄2 Pound, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (2 Breasts)|
|Sharp cheddar cheese||6 Ounce, grated|
|Red bell peppers||16 Ounce, stemmed and seeded, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (2 Peppers, 8 Ounces Each)|
|Canned green chilies/1 tablespoon pickled jalapeno peppers, finely diced||2 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Black pepper||To Taste, freshly ground|
Calories 497 Calories from Fat 183
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 22 g34.3%
Saturated Fat 12 g59.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 159.8 mg
Sodium 816.3 mg34%
Total Carbohydrates 17 g5.5%
Dietary Fiber 3.1 g12.3%
Sugars 6 g
Protein 53 g105.5%
Vitamin A 84.7% Vitamin C 251%
Calcium 33.8% Iron 12.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a medium saucepan, cover and saute the onion over a medium heat for about 5 minutes until tender.
2) In a 1/4 cup measuring cup, mix the broth, beer and water together.
3) Whisk the mustard and flour into the onion and cook over a low heat, stirring continuously for 2 minutes.
4) Whisk in the broth mixture 1/4 cup at a time, until the mixture is smooth, gradually stir in rest of the liquid, then stir 1/2 teaspoon salt.
5) Bring the liquid to a boil, then reduce to a simmer over low heat, and cook, partially covered, for 15 minutes.
6) Stir in the chicken, allow to simmer, cook uncovered for 5 minutes, until thoroughly cooked.
7) Stir in the chiles and cheese, simmer over a low heat, stirring constantly for 1 minute until the cheese is dissolved.
8) Season with the salt and pepper to taste.
9) Equally add the bell peppers into 4 soup bowls, ladle over the hot soup and serve immediately.