- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Cheddar Cheese Patties with Mustard Seed Relish Recipe
|Mustard seeds||1 Tablespoon|
|Sunflower oil||4 Tablespoon|
|Cider vinegar||8 Fluid Ounce|
|Caster sugar||1 Ounce|
|Red skinned apple||1|
|Lemon||1⁄2 , grated rind & juiced|
|Mature cheddar cheese||3 Ounce|
|Fresh white breadcrumbs||4 Ounce|
|Fresh parsley||3 Tablespoon, chopped|
|English mustard powder||1 Pinch|
|Nutmeg||1 Pinch, grated|
|Dried thyme||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Plain flour||2 Tablespoon (to dust)|
Calories 1001 Calories from Fat 517
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 58 g89.8%
Saturated Fat 18.8 g93.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 176 mg
Sodium 525.4 mg21.9%
Total Carbohydrates 91 g30.3%
Dietary Fiber 10.9 g43.4%
Sugars 32 g
Protein 26 g52.9%
Vitamin A 138.7% Vitamin C 124.4%
Calcium 26.6% Iron 40.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Using a vegetable peeler, peel the carrot and parsnip then shred the carrot, parsnip and courgette into ribbons, into a bowl of iced cold water. Put the mustard seeds in a small bowl of warm water and leave to soak for 30 minutes then drain.
2. In a small saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil, add the shallot and fry for 2 to 3 minutes until softened. Add the soaked mustard seeds, cider vinegar and sugar and boil until reduced to a third. Finely chop the apple, add to the pan with the lemon rind and cook for a further 4 to 5 minutes.
3. In a bowl, grate the cheese and add breadcrumbs. Finely chop the spring onion and add to the bowl with one of the eggs, 2 tablespoons of the parsley, mustard powder, nutmeg and thyme. Mix well, squeezing the mixture together with your hands.
4. Beat the remaining egg. Shape the mixture into 4 patties then roll in the flour, the egg and the remaining breadcrumbs. Mark the patties with a palette knife, by gently pressing the knife on top.
5. In a frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil and the butter, when foaming, add the patties and fry for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until golden.
6. Drain the curled-up vegetables on to a tea-towel and pat dry.
7. Heat the remaining oil in a wok or frying pan. Add the vegetables to the wok with the lemon juice and remaining 1 tablespoon of parsley and stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
8. Onto warmed serving plates, spoon the vegetable ribbons then add the cheese patties and a spoonful of the relish.