- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Challah Sabbath Twist Recipe
|Warm water||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs) (105 To 115°F)|
|Active dry yeast||1⁄4 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Salad oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Eggs||2 , slightly beaten|
|All purpose flour||5 1⁄2 Cup (88 tbs)|
|Sesame seed||2 Tablespoon|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3574 Calories from Fat 803
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 92 g141.2%
Saturated Fat 10.3 g51.6%
Trans Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 608 mg
Sodium 3089.7 mg128.7%
Total Carbohydrates 586 g195.2%
Dietary Fiber 23.6 g94.4%
Sugars 52.8 g
Protein 94 g188%
Vitamin A 14.1% Vitamin C 0.04%
Calcium 48.4% Iron 220.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Add salt, oil, eggs and 3 cups flour; beat with electric mixer until smooth— about 2 minutes. Gradually add remaining flour, mixing in flour with hand until dough is stiff enough to leave side of bowl.
3. Turn out dough onto lightly floured pastry cloth or board. Knead until smooth and elastic—about 5 minutes.
4. Place in lightly greased large bowl; turn dough over to bring up greased side. Cover with towel; let rise in warm place (85°F), free from drafts, about 1 hour, or until double in bulk.
5. Turn out dough onto lightly floured pastry cloth or board. Divide two-thirds into 3 equal parts. Using palms of hands, roll each part into 20-inch-long strips. Braid 3 strips; pinch ends together. Place on large greased cookie sheet.
6. Divide remaining one-third of the dough into 3 equal parts. Roll each part into 18-inch-long strips; braid 3 strips together; pinch ends together. Place on top of the larger braid.
7. Cover with a clean dish towel; let rise in warm place (85°F), free from drafts, until double in bulk—50 to 60 minutes.
8. Preheat oven to 375°F.
9. Brush surface of loaf with egg yolk mixed with 2 tablespoons water. Sprinkle with sesame seed.
10. Bake 35 to 40 minutes, or until a rich golden-brown. (If crust seems too brown after 25 minutes of baking, cover with foil or brown paper.) Remove to wire rack to cool. Serve warm or cold.