- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Challah Bread by Irving's Premium Foods Recipe
To watch Irving make this bread, watch this video.
|Water||2 1⁄4 Cup (36 tbs)|
|Olive oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Flour||8 Cup (128 tbs)|
|Yeast||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 5169 Calories from Fat 1142
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 130 g199.3%
Saturated Fat 20 g100.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 482.2 mg
Sodium 2126.4 mg88.6%
Total Carbohydrates 868 g289.3%
Dietary Fiber 28.8 g115.3%
Sugars 103.5 g
Protein 120 g239.1%
Vitamin A 11.1% Vitamin C 0.04%
Calcium 21.8% Iron 276.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Combine the rest of the dry ingredients in the mixing bowl.
3. Take one of the eggs and set aside the yolk. This will be used later on for the glaze. Add the white from this egg along with the other two eggs to the dry ingredients.
4. Add 1 and 1/2 cups of lukewarm water and 1/2 cup olive oil to the dry ingredients.
5. Add the yeast, sugar and water from step one and mix until of the right consistency.
6. Place the dough in a covered greased bowl and let sit until the dough doubles in size.
7. Punch the dough down and let sit until it doubles again in size.
8. There will now be enough dough to make 2-1 lb challahs.
9. Braid each challah and let sit (covered in a damp towel) in a warm spot for an hour.
10. Warm the oven to 350 degrees.
11. Spread some yellow cornmeal on a baking pan and place the braided dough on the pan.
12. Combine the egg yolk with 2 tablespoons of water and spread over the dough right before placing it in the oven.
13. Bake for approximately 1/2 hour. This will depend on your oven.