- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
|Active dry yeast||2 Tablespoon|
|Warm water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (105°-115°F)|
|Melted butter||3 Tablespoon (1 1/2 Tablespoons)|
|Oil||3 Tablespoon (1 1/2 Tablespoons)|
|Honey||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (1/8, 1/8)|
|Eggs||3 , lightly beaten (Reserve 2 (1, 1) Tablespoons For Glaze)|
|Whole wheat flour||6 Cup (96 tbs) (Measured Scoop And Level)|
|Skim milk powder||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Non Instant)|
|Water||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Poppy seeds||1 Tablespoon (For Topping, Or As Required)|
Calories 999 Calories from Fat 260
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 30 g45.6%
Saturated Fat 9.2 g46.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 183.1 mg
Sodium 1046.8 mg43.6%
Total Carbohydrates 162 g54%
Dietary Fiber 26.1 g104.5%
Sugars 17.4 g
Protein 36 g71.4%
Vitamin A 9.6% Vitamin C 0.26%
Calcium 15% Iron 55.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Use a measuring cup, to sprinkle yeast over 1/2 (1/4, 1/4) warm water.
2) Place aside to stand in warm place for 5 minutes until it dissolves or puffs.
3) Stir in melted butter, oil and honey.
4) In the food processor, use the METAL BLADE or PLASTIC DOUGH BLADE setting.
5) In the work bowl, add whole wheat flour, salt and milk powder.
6) Pour in yeast mixture through the feed tube while the machine is running.
7) Also pour in additional water in a steady stream to form stiff dough.
8) It may be necessary to stop machine and scrape the dough down sides of bowl.
9) Process the dough ball for 20 seconds and test the consistency for right elasticity, stickiness and wetness, by stopping the machine.
10) If it is not ready, then process for another 10 seconds.
11) Sprinkle with additional 1-2 tablespoons flour into the dough and pulse machine on/off to coat dough for easy removal from work bowl.
12) In an oiled bowl transfer the dough and turn over to oil the entire surface.
13) Cover the bowl with plastic bag or damp cloth and let rise in a warm place, free from drafts, until doubled in bulk, about 1-1 1/4 hours.
14) Punch down dough and knead for 30 seconds to press out the bubbles.
15) Make 2 parts out of the dough to shape into balls.
16) Divide each half portion into 3 parts.
17) Shape each part into ball and let rest by covering for 15 minutes.
18) To prepare straight braid, roll 12 inches long from each part.
19) Place 2 strands parallel and braid by pinching the top. Also, pinch at the end.
20) Tuck both ends under the loaf and pinch to seal.
21) Use greased cookie sheet to place the braid.
22) Cover with plastic bag; let rise in warm place, free from drafts, until doubled, 1 hour.
23) To shape ring, roll into 18 inches long strand.
24) Place 3 strands parallel and braid by pinching the top.
25) Form a ring by pinching the top and end together.
26) Use a greased 8-inch cake pan (or a greased cookie sheet or 8-inch pie pan) to place the ring.
27) Cover with plastic bag and let rise in warm place, free from drafts, until doubled, about 1 hour.
28) Preheat oven to 350Â°.
29) Brush with reserved eggs, just before baking and sprinkle with poppy seeds.
30) Place inside oven to bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and bottom crust sounds hard and hollow when tapped.
31) Transfer on a metal rack to cool.
32) Serve the braid, with your choice of spread or dip.