- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Celebration Day Beans Recipe
|Water||1 1⁄2 Quart|
|Navy beans||1 Pound|
|Salt pork||1⁄4 Pound|
|Reserved bean liquid||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Firmly packed brown sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Molasses||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Onion juice||2 Teaspoon|
|Dry mustard||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
Calories 653 Calories from Fat 147
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 16 g25.2%
Saturated Fat 5.7 g28.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 16.3 mg
Sodium 940 mg39.2%
Total Carbohydrates 112 g37.5%
Dietary Fiber 18.5 g73.9%
Sugars 65.6 g
Protein 18 g35.9%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0.21%
Calcium 18.9% Iron 29.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Heat water to boiling in a large saucepan.
3. Meanwhile, wash thoroughly, sort and discard imperfect beans.
4. Add beans gradually to water so boiling does not stop. Simmer 2 min. and remove saucepan from heat. Set beans aside to soak 1 hr.
5. Remove rind and cut salt pork into narrow strips.
6. Add pork strips to beans with salt.
7. Return saucepan to heat and simmer 45 min., stirring once or twice. Drain beans, reserving liquid, and turn beans and salt pork strips into casserole. Set aside while making sauce.
8. Combine bean liquid, brown sugar, molasses, vinegar, onion juice and dry mustard in saucepan.
9. Bring to boiling. Pour sauce over beans.
10. Cover and bake at 300°F about 2 1/2 hrs. If necessary, add more liquid to just cover beans during baking. Remove cover and bake 1/2 hr. longer to brown pork and beans.