- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Catalan Romesco 'sauce' Rotelli Recipe
|Extra virgin olive oil||7 Tablespoon (Spanish)|
|Garlic||8 Clove (40 gm), thinly sliced|
|Almonds||1 Cup (16 tbs), coarsely chopped and blanched|
|Red bell peppers||1 , stemmed, seeded, and cut into 1/4-inch dice (about 4 cups)|
|Onions||2 Medium, halved and thinly slivered|
|Ripe plum tomatoes||4 Cup (64 tbs), diced for about 2 pounds|
|Orange||1 , squeezed and zest finely grated|
|Black pepper||To Taste, freshly ground|
|Fresh cilantro leaves/Flat-leaf parsley||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs), coarsely chopped|
|Rotelli pasta/Fusilli pasta||1 Pound, dried|
|Manchego cheese/Parmesan cheese||1 Tablespoon, grated (As Required, For Serving)|
Calories 662 Calories from Fat 279
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 32 g48.6%
Saturated Fat 2.2 g10.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 2.6 mg
Sodium 320.3 mg13.3%
Total Carbohydrates 84 g28.1%
Dietary Fiber 11.6 g46.4%
Sugars 9.9 g
Protein 14 g27.1%
Vitamin A 29.3% Vitamin C 90.7%
Calcium 17.8% Iron 14.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a large heavy saucepan, heated over low heat, heat 4 tablespoons of oil and sauté garlic for about 5 minutes in it until pale golden.
2) Using a slotted spoon, take off the garlic and keep aside.
3) To the oil, add almonds and then slightly increase the heat.
4) Sauté the almonds for about 3 minutes until they are golden and then add it to garlic using a slotted spoon.
5) In the same saucepan, over medium-low heat, heat 2 tablespoons of oil and sauté peppers and onions in it for 15 minutes until the vegetables are softened.
6) Stir in tomatoes and orange juice and zest.
7) Adjust seasonings and again cook the mixture for 5 minutes until the flavours are well blended.
8) Mix in saved garlic and almonds and cook the mixture for 2 minutes more until it is warmed well.
9) Season it and add in the cilantro.
10) Allow a large pot of salted water to come to a boil.
11) Add in remaining tablespoon of oil and pasta and cook until the pasta is just tender.
12) Drain the pasta and mix it with the sauce, tossing well.
13) Top with grated Manchego or Parmesan cheese and serve at once.