- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Catalan Chicken Recipe
|Dried apricots||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Golden raisins||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Brandy||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Tomatoes||2 , halved|
|Extra virgin olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Whole chicken legs||4 1⁄2 Pound (6 Legs)|
|Kosher salt||To Taste|
|Freshly ground pepper||To Taste|
|Thickly sliced bacon||1⁄2 Pound, cut into 1/2-inch pieces|
|Onions||2 Large, cut into 1/4-inch dice|
|Garlic head||1 Clove (5 gm), cloves peeled|
|Dry white wine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chicken stock/Low-sodium broth||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Pine nuts||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 5790 Calories from Fat 3271
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 375 g577.2%
Saturated Fat 89.3 g446.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1428 mg
Sodium 9261.2 mg385.9%
Total Carbohydrates 221 g73.8%
Dietary Fiber 25.9 g103.6%
Sugars 140.2 g
Protein 339 g678.9%
Vitamin A 147.3% Vitamin C 217.1%
Calcium 34% Iron 161.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Grate the cut side of the tomatoes on a box grater set over a bowl. Discard the tomato skins.
3. In a large cast-iron casserole, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Season the chicken legs with salt and pepper. Add 3 legs to the casserole and cook over moderately high heat, turning once, until browned, 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining 3 legs. Pour off the fat from the casserole.
4. Add the bacon to the casserole and cook over moderate heat until browned, about 6 minutes. Spoon off all but 3 tablespoons of the fat from the casserole. Add the onions and garlic cloves to the bacon and cook until the onions begin to brown, about 6 minutes. Stir in the dried-fruit mixture, tomatoes, wine, thyme sprigs and bay leaf and boil over high heat for 1 minute. Pour in the chicken stock.
5. Return the chicken legs to the casserole, skin side up, and bring to a boil. Transfer the casserole to the oven and bake until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has thickened, about 40 minutes. Discard the thyme sprigs and bay leaf.
6. Meanwhile, in a small, dry skillet, toast the pine nuts over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until fragrant and lightly golden, about 3 minutes.
7. Transfer the chicken to a platter. Spoon the sauce around the chicken, sprinkle with the toasted pine nuts and serve.