- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Casserole of Beef with Prunes Recipe
|Lean stewing steak||1 1⁄2 Pound (700 Gram)|
|Seasoned flour||2 Ounce (Use As Required, To Dredge The Meat)|
|Dripping||2 Ounce (50 Gram)|
|New carrots||1⁄2 Pound (225 Gram)|
|Stock||1 Pint (600 Milliliter)|
|Freshly ground pepper||To Taste (Or Milled)|
|Tomato puree||1 Tablespoon|
|Fresh parsley||2 Tablespoon, chopped|
Calories 598 Calories from Fat 230
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 26 g39.4%
Saturated Fat 6.7 g33.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 15.5 mg
Sodium 410.4 mg17.1%
Total Carbohydrates 32 g10.7%
Dietary Fiber 4.7 g18.7%
Sugars 10.4 g
Protein 60 g120.6%
Vitamin A 203.9% Vitamin C 35.9%
Calcium 6.4% Iron 9.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Trim fat off the steak and pat dry on paper toweling.
2. Dice into cubes.
3. Dredge with seasoned flour keep aside.
4. Peel and chop the onion finely.
5. Peel and slice the carrots thinly.
6. In a large Dutch oven or casserole, melt the fat over moderate heat
7. When hot add meat and sautÃ© until evenly browned.
8. Remove to a plate.
9. Add onion and carrots to the remaining drippings and sautÃ© until limp.
10. Stir in flour and sautÃ© until mixture has browned, adding more fat if required.
11. Pour in hot stock gradually, stirring to make smooth sauce.
12. Season to taste and stir in tomato paste.
13. Cook, stirring until sauce is thick and bubbly.
14. Return meat and stir to coat with sauce.
15. Cover casserole tightly with lid and transfer to middle level of heated oven.
16. Stew for 2- 2 Â½, stirring occasionally, until the meat is fork tender, adding the prunes after 1 Â½ hours or so.
17. Dish out and serve the stew garnished with parsley and accompanied by rice.