- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Cashew Chicken Recipe
|Chicken breasts||10 Ounce, skinned and boned, cubed|
|Dry sherry||1 Tablespoon|
|Reduced sodium soy sauce||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Peanut oil/Vegetable oil||1 Tablespoon, divided|
|Onions||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), sliced|
|Cashews||1 Ounce, shelled, roasted|
|Red bell pepper strips||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Mushrooms||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), sliced|
|Garlic||1⁄2 Clove (2.5 gm), minced (Small Cloves)|
|Canned water chestnuts||3 Ounce, drained (Canned, Whole Or Sliced, Reserve 1/2 Cup Liquid)|
|Canned water chestnuts||3 Ounce, drained, whole or sliced (Reserve 1/2 Cup Liquid)|
|Hoisin sauce||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Scallion||1 Tablespoon, thinly sliced (Green Onion)|
Calories 187 Calories from Fat 68
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 8 g12%
Saturated Fat 1.4 g7.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 41.1 mg
Sodium 154.6 mg6.4%
Total Carbohydrates 10 g3.2%
Dietary Fiber 1.7 g6.9%
Sugars 2.5 g
Protein 19 g37.3%
Vitamin A 1.1% Vitamin C 6.2%
Calcium 2% Iron 7.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a 1 quart non-metallic bowl, toss the chicken with cornstarch until the chicken is evenly coated.
2) Stir in the sherry and soy sauce and allow the mixture to marinate for 15 minutes.
3) In a 8 or 9 inch non-stick skillet, stir-fry the chicken cubes in batches in 1 1/2 teaspoons oil, until browned.
4) Remove from the skillet, repeat with rest of the chicken cubes and reserve the left over marinade.
5) In the same skillet, stir-fry the onion and cashews in rest of the oil until the onion is translucent.
6) Stir in the pepper, mushrooms and garlic, stir-fry for another 1 minute.
7) Return the chicken into the skillet, stir in the water chestnuts, reserved liquid, hoisin sauce and reserved marinade.
8) Cover and cook for 1 to 2 minutes until the chicken is thoroughly cooked through and the sauce is thick.
9) Sprinkle with the scallion and serve immediately on individual serving plates.