- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Casatiello - Original Italian Recipe Video
|Water||400 Milliliter (lukewarm)|
|Ground black pepper||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Dry yeast||7 Gram|
|Pecorino cheese||40 Gram, grated|
|Parmesan cheese||40 Gram, grated|
|Provolone cheese||3 1⁄2 Ounce|
Calories 632 Calories from Fat 274
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 31 g47.1%
Saturated Fat 13.1 g65.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 157 mg
Sodium 1051 mg43.8%
Total Carbohydrates 66 g22.1%
Dietary Fiber 3.3 g13.2%
Sugars 1.8 g
Protein 21 g42%
Vitamin A 5.5% Vitamin C 1.2%
Calcium 22.2% Iron 30.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a large bowl, combine flour, yeast, sugar, plenty of pepper and the lard and in a jug dissolve salt with water, combine and knead all the ingredients on a worktop sprinkled with flour.
2. Knead for 10 minutes or until you have a smooth and soft dough, place the dough in a greased large bowl cover with cling film and let it rise at about 85°F (30°C) for at least 2 and a ½ hours until doubled in size.
3. Prepare a greased ring mould.
4. Preheat the oven at 390°F (200°C) after the rolled casatiello has doubled in volume.
5. Sprinkle the worktop with flour and roll it out into a large rectangle, 16 inches wide by 28 inches long, with a thickness of about 1/10 inch (3 mm).
6. Reserve the ends for decoration, roll them into strip and keep it aside until needed.
7. Sprinkle all the ingredients for the filling start with the cheese and end with the bacon, leave some space around the edge so that the roll can be sealed, roll it up.
8. Once the roll is ready, seal the two ends, place the roll in the ring mould, and let it rise once more at 85°F (30°C) for an hour.
9. After an hour arrange the eggs on top of the roll leaving little distance and decorate it with the reserved dough strips. Brush the surface with beaten egg wash.
10. Bake in preheated oven for about 50 minutes.
11. Let the casatiello cool.
12. Serve the bread along with your roasted chicken.