- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Carrot and Cashew Nut Coleslaw Recipe
|Cashew nuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Carrot||1 Large, grated|
|Onion||1 Small, finely chopped|
|Celery stalks||2 , chopped|
|Hard white cabbage||1⁄4 Small, shredded|
|Fresh parsley||1 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Sesame oil||4 Tablespoon|
|Poppy seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|White wine vinegar/Cider vinegar||2 Tablespoon|
|Parsley sprigs||2 (Few Sprigs, For Garnish)|
Calories 335 Calories from Fat 242
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 28 g43.3%
Saturated Fat 4.3 g21.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 137.9 mg5.7%
Total Carbohydrates 16 g5.4%
Dietary Fiber 3.1 g12.3%
Sugars 5.2 g
Protein 6 g12.8%
Vitamin A 69.6% Vitamin C 25.8%
Calcium 6.4% Iron 9.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat the oven or broiler on moderate.
2. On a baking sheet, spread the cashews in a single layer.
3. Place in the preheated oven or under the boiler and roast the nuts, sautÃ©ing them occasionally to allow even browning.
4. When they are evenly browned remove and let cool.
5. In the meantime, in a large salad bowl, combine the vegetables and toss to mix. Keep aside.
6. In a small saucepan, heat the sesame oil.
7. When the oil is hot, add the poppy seeds
8. When seeds begin to pop, place a lid over the pan.
9. When the popping stops, take the pan off the heat and let cool slightly.
To the poppy seeds and oil mixture, add the vinegar and swirl the pan to mix.
10. Pour the warm dressing over the vegetable mixture.
11. Add the toasted cashew nuts and toss the salad to mix well.
12. Garnish the salad with parsley and serve immediately while warm.