- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Carob Brownies Recipe Video
|Whole wheat flour||4 Tablespoon|
|Carob powder||3 Tablespoon|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Carob chips||2 Cup (32 tbs), divided (1 cup for brownies and 1 cup for frosting)|
|Walnuts||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped|
|Organic non-fat yogurt||8 Tablespoon|
|Raw sugar||8 Tablespoon|
|Safflower oil/Canola oil||4 Tablespoon|
|Vanilla extract||1 Tablespoon|
Calories 300 Calories from Fat 121
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 14 g22.2%
Saturated Fat 4.8 g23.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0.27 mg
Sodium 207 mg8.6%
Total Carbohydrates 40 g13.4%
Dietary Fiber 2.8 g11.3%
Sugars 23.7 g
Protein 6 g11.4%
Vitamin A 0.1% Vitamin C 0.44%
Calcium 8.6% Iron 5.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment lined
3. Mix together the flour, carob powder, baking powder, baking soda, carob chips and walnuts.
4. Mix together the yogurt, sugar, oil and vanilla in a separate bowl.
5. Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, stirring quickly and lightly until just mixed.
6. Pour the batter into the parchment lined baking pan and bake for 18 to 20 minutes on 350 degrees F. Test to see if cooked by inserting a toothpick in mixture.
To make the Frosting:
7. Prepare a double boiler and heat water in the lower pan to boiling.
8. Add 1 tablespoon of food grade coconut oil and remove from the heat.
9. Add 1 cup of carob chips and let sit for a couple of minutes
10. Stir well and pour over the top of the brownie.
11. Let frosting cool and harden.
12. Cut into squares and serve.
Carob powder can be purchased raw or roasted. I used roasted carob powder in this recipe because I like the flavor better than the raw carob.
The carob chips I used are made with turbinado sugar. There is a variety of carob chip that does not have sugar but these chips do not melt very well so I use the sugar ones for baking.