- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Caribbean Style Black Bean Soup Recipe
|Dried black beans||1 Pound, washed, destoned|
|Green pepper||1 , chopped|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm), minced|
|Ground cumin||1 Tablespoon|
|Dried oregano||1 Teaspoon|
|Dried thyme||1 Teaspoon|
|Water||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Sour cream||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cilantro||1 Tablespoon, chopped|
Calories 1122 Calories from Fat 511
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 57 g87.7%
Saturated Fat 16.7 g83.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 117.5 mg
Sodium 1718.7 mg71.6%
Total Carbohydrates 97 g32.3%
Dietary Fiber 20.8 g83.4%
Sugars 10.3 g
Protein 61 g121.8%
Vitamin A 12.2% Vitamin C 69.5%
Calcium 25.8% Iron 51.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In 4 quarts of water, soak the beans overnight and drain the next day.
2) In a slow cooker, combine together the beans, onions, garlic, green pepper, ham, cumin, oil, oregano, salt, thyme, pepper and 3 cups of fresh water. Mix well.
3) Cover the cooker and cook over low heat for about 8 to 10 hours or high heat for about 4 to 5 hours.
3) Cover the cooker and cook over low heat for about 8 to 10 hours or high heat for about 4 to 5 hours. If a thick soup is preferred, take out half of the cooked bean mixture and puree it in a blender till it is smooth or use a potato masher. Return to the cooker and stir.
4) Add the vinegar and mix well. Remove the ham from the bone and cut the meat into bite-sized pieces. Return to the soup.
5) Serve the soup hot in soup bowls. If preferred, put a dollop of sour cream in the center of each individual serving.