- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Caribbean Pork Recipe
|Pork loin chops||4|
|Muscovado sugar||4 Tablespoon|
|Orange juice/Pineapple juice||4 Tablespoon|
|Jamaican rum||2 Tablespoon|
|Desiccated coconut||1 Tablespoon|
|Cinnamon||1⁄2 Teaspoon, ground|
|Mixed salad leaves||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (For Garnish)|
|For the coconut rice|
|Basmati rice||8 Ounce|
|Coconut milk||5 Ounce|
|Cashew nuts/Roasted nuts||4 Tablespoon, roasted|
|Desiccated coconut||2 Tablespoon, toasted|
Calories 769 Calories from Fat 281
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 33 g50.4%
Saturated Fat 18.5 g92.5%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 78.2 mg
Sodium 177.2 mg7.4%
Total Carbohydrates 84 g28%
Dietary Fiber 4.8 g19.2%
Sugars 28.2 g
Protein 32 g64.8%
Vitamin A 0.8% Vitamin C 15%
Calcium 7.2% Iron 16.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Prepare the barbecue grill.
2) Strip the pork chops of any excess fat. Transfer into a non-metallic dish.
3) In a bowl, mix sugar, fruit juice, rum, coconut and cinnamon. Mix well until the sugar dissolves.
4) Pour the mixture over the pork chops to coat them well. Let them marinate for a minimum of two hours and maximum overnight.
5) Barbecue the pork chops over hot coals for about 20 minutes. Baste the chops with the marinade frequently, and turn them over in between. Keep the chops warm till serving time.
6) Meanwhile, in a saucepan, add water, coconut milk, washed basmati rice. Allow it to come to boil.
7) Reduce the flame, cover the saucepan and let the rice cook for about 12 more minutes.
8) The rice is done when it has absorbed all the liquid and turned tender. With a fork, fluff up the rice.
9) Mix in the roasted nuts and raisins into the rice. Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste.
10) Place the pork chops in the centre on a warm plate. Serve the coconut rice on the side.
11) Garnish the rice with toasted dessicated coconut.