- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Caribbean Fish Pot Recipe
|Bacon||1 Pound, sliced , cut crosswise into 1/2 inch pieces|
|Okra||1 1⁄2 Pound, tops trimmed, sliced on the diagonal into 1/2 inch slices|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Red bell peppers||2 , stemmed, seeded, and cut into 1/2 inch dice|
|Onion||1 Large, cut into 1/2 inch dice|
|Garlic cloves||6 Large, minced|
|Canned plum tomatoes with juice||2 Cup (32 tbs), crushed|
|Minced chili||2 Teaspoon, seeds and ribs removed (Scotch Bonnet / Other Hot Chili, Adjust Quantity As Per Taste)|
|Fresh thyme leaves/1 tablespoon dried thyme leaves||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cayenne pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Adjust Quantity As Per Taste)|
|Fish stock/Bottled clam juice||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Defatted chicken broth||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Grouper fillets/Red snapper fillets||2 Pound, skinned and cut crosswise into 2-inch slices|
|Sea scallops||1 Pound|
|Large shrimp||1 Pound, peeled and deveined|
|Lump crabmeat||8 Ounce, picked over for shell and cartilage|
|Oranges||2 , zest grated|
|Chopped fresh cilantro leaves||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (For Garnish)|
Calories 633 Calories from Fat 175
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 20 g30.8%
Saturated Fat 5.1 g25.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 217 mg
Sodium 1346 mg56.1%
Total Carbohydrates 31 g10.2%
Dietary Fiber 8.5 g34%
Sugars 12.4 g
Protein 81 g161.6%
Vitamin A 73.4% Vitamin C 212%
Calcium 30.1% Iron 32.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a large heavy pot, cook the bacon over a medium heat until transparent.
2) Stir in the okra and cook for about 5 minutes until the bacon is slightly brown.
3) Add the oil, then stir in the bell peppers, onion, and garlic, then cook for 7 to 10 minutes until the vegetables are softened.
4) Stir in the tomatoes, chili, thyme, bay leaves, and cayenne pepper, then cook over a medium-low heat for 15 minutes.
5) Pour in the fish stock and chicken broth, then partially cover and cook for another 30 minutes.
6) Add the fish fillets and seallops, then cook uncovered over a medium-high heat for 2 minutes.
7) Stir in the shrimp and cook for another 2 minutes. Then stir in the crabmeat and cook for another 1 minute.
8) Fold in the orange zest and sprinkle with the chopped cilantro.
9) Serve immediately on individual serving plates.