- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Caribbean Creole Steaks with Cinnamon Rice Recipe
|Olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Red wine vinegar||2 Tablespoon|
|Dark rum||5 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced to a paste|
|Black pepper||To Taste, freshly ground|
|Rib eye steaks||32 Ounce (Boneless, 4 Steaks, About 8 Ounces Each)|
|White long grain rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|White onion||1⁄2 , finely diced|
|Carrot||1 , finely diced|
|Celery stalks||1⁄2 , finely diced|
|Cinnamon||2 Teaspoon, ground|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced|
|Onion||1 , diced|
|Red bell pepper||1⁄2 , seeded and diced|
|Green bell pepper||1⁄2|
|Habanero/1 serrano chile, seeded and minced||1⁄2 , seeded and finely minced (Green Or Orange)|
|Celery stalks||1 Small, diced|
|Scallion||1 , finely sliced|
|Fresh oregano||1 Tablespoon, minced|
|Cumin||1⁄2 Teaspoon, ground|
|Ripe tomatoes||2 , seeded and diced|
|Red wine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Beef stock||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
Calories 897 Calories from Fat 367
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 42 g64.2%
Saturated Fat 12.6 g63.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 96.1 mg
Sodium 775.9 mg32.3%
Total Carbohydrates 62 g20.7%
Dietary Fiber 5.6 g22.3%
Sugars 13.1 g
Protein 51 g101.2%
Vitamin A 79.3% Vitamin C 85.2%
Calcium 9.8% Iron 23%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a large dish, combine all the marinade ingredients together, add the steaks and marinate at room temperature for 2 hours, turning occasionally.
2) Preheat the broiler or grill.
3) Rinse the rice in a strainer under cold running water, drain and keep aside.
4) In a saucepan, saute the onion, carrot and celery in 1 tablespoon butter over a low heat for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5) Stir in the rice, salt, cinnamon, raisins and 2 cups of water, bring to a boil over a high heat.
When the water and rice are at the same level, simmer covered over a low heat for about 15 minutes, or until the water is absorbed, stirring occasionally.
6) Turn off the heat, allow to stand for 5 minutes, then add rest of the butter and fluff with a fork just before serving.
7) In a heavy saute pan or skillet, saute the garlic, onion, bell peppers, chile, celery and scallion in the oil over a medium-high heat for 1 minute.
8) Stir in the oregano, cumin, and tomatoes and saute for another 1 minute.
9) Stir in the wine, vinegar and stock, bring to a boil, season with salt and pepper and simmer over a low heat for 5 minutes, keep warm.
10) Remove the steaks from the marinade, pat dry and reserve the marinade.
11) Grill or broil the steaks for 4 to 5 minutes each side for medium-rare or about 6 minutes for medium, basting occasionally with the marinade.
12) On warm serving plates, spoon a bed of rice and top with the steaks, ladle the sauce by the side and serve immediately.