- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Caribbean Coconut Tart Recipe
|Unsalted butter||8 Tablespoon, cut in pieces (1 Stick)|
|Granulated sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Pure vanilla extract||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|All purpose flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Egg whites||2 Large (At Room Temperature)|
|Confectioners sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs), sifted|
|Lime zest||1 Teaspoon, finely grated|
|Lime||1 , finely grated zest|
|Cinnamon||1⁄4 Teaspoon, ground|
|Coconut||1 Cup (16 tbs), shredded|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2335 Calories from Fat 1092
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 126 g193.1%
Saturated Fat 85.6 g428%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 258 mg
Sodium 371.9 mg15.5%
Total Carbohydrates 284 g94.6%
Dietary Fiber 12.6 g50.2%
Sugars 173.4 g
Protein 23 g46.5%
Vitamin A 60.4% Vitamin C 28.8%
Calcium 9.3% Iron 45.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2) In a a food processor, process the butter for a few seconds until creamy. Add the granulated sugar and process for about 20 seconds until the mixture is light and fluffy. Scrape the sides of the bowl 1-2 times with a spatula.
3) Add 1/2 teaspoon of the vanilla , then add the flour and salt to the food processor and process until the dough comes together, scrape down once and process for a few more seconds.
4) In a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom, press the dough evenly over the bottom and up the sides.
5) Trim any excess dough over the top of the tart pan and lightly press the dough around so that it extends about 1/8 inch above the rim of the pan. Prick the bottom of the dough all over. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the freezer for 30 minutes or overnight.
6) Bake the partially or fully frozen tart shell in the preheated oven for about 25 minutes until fully baked and golden brown. Cool the tart shell on a wire rack and lower the oven temperature to 350°F.
7) In a bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until they begin to hold soft peaks. Gradually add the confectioners' sugar and continue beating until the whites are stiff. Mix in the remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, the lime zest, and cinnamon, then fold in half the coconut.
8) Spoon the egg white mixture in the tart shell, sprinkle 1/2 cup coconut evenly over the top and bake for 25 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
9) Served on a serving plate when still slightly warm.