- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Carciofi Alla Romana Recipe Video
|Red onion||1 Large|
|Parsley||1 Bunch (100 gm)|
|Vegetable broth||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Olive oil||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
Calories 817 Calories from Fat 538
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 61 g93.5%
Saturated Fat 15.8 g79.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 53.3 mg17.8%
Sodium 2692.4 mg112.2%
Total Carbohydrates 51 g17.1%
Dietary Fiber 25 g100%
Sugars 8.4 g
Protein 26 g51.4%
Vitamin A 29.2% Vitamin C 125.9%
Calcium 22.3% Iron 37.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Fill a large bowl with tap water and pour the juice of one lemon in it.
2) Remove the outer leaves of the artichoke uncovering the more light pale green heart. Use a potato peeler to shave the stem of the artichoke, cut the excess stem with scissors or with a pairing knife.
3) As you proceed place the cleaned artichokes in the citrus water to prevent them from oxidizing and spotting the leaves with dark brown dots.
4) Warm the vegetable broth in a skillet or in the microwave.
5) Chop the Guanciale in small cubes, about ¼”.
6) In a large non-stick pan heat about 3 tablespoons of olive oil on a medium-high, add the guanciale and sauté for about 10 minutes. Stir often and make sure it gets golden and crisp.
7) Dice the onion very fine and add to the pan, lower the fire to a medium and cook for about five minutes until soft and translucent.
8) Lower the fire to a simmer, and one at the time place the artichoke hearts, head down, on top of the soffritto.
9) Add a ladle of warm vegetable broth and cover with a lid; slow cook is the secret for this recipe.
10) Cook for about 40-50 minutes, adding a ladle of broth when necessary (1 cup is just an indication, you might need less) and gently shaking the pan to move the artichokes and prevent them from sticking.
11) Artichokes will be ready when they feel very soft to the touch; be careful as they are very delicate at the end and they might fall apart when being handled.
12) Chop the parsley very fine and sprinkle it on the chokes before serving. Always serve warm, never hot!