- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Carbonnade of Beef Recipe
|Steak||2 1⁄2 Pound|
|Pepper||To Taste, milled|
|Brown sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|French bread slices||12|
|French mustard||To Taste|
Calories 850 Calories from Fat 300
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 33 g51.5%
Saturated Fat 15.1 g75.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 109.1 mg
Sodium 705.6 mg29.4%
Total Carbohydrates 86 g28.6%
Dietary Fiber 7.3 g29.2%
Sugars 24.8 g
Protein 52 g103.1%
Vitamin A 4.8% Vitamin C 38.7%
Calcium 15.7% Iron 36.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Trim fat off the beef.
2. Cut into cubes.
3. Peel and slice onion thinly
4. Preheat oven to 325Â°F (170Â°C or Gas No. 3)
5. In a large skillet, melt Â½ the butter over moderate heat
6. When hot add onions and sautÃ© for 15 minutes until tender and caramelized.
7. Remove using a slotted spoon onto a plate and keep aside.
8. Add meat and sautÃ© until evenly browned.
9. Add flour and seasonings to meat and stir until lightly browned.
10. Gradually pour in half the ale, stirring to make a smooth sauce.
11. Bring to boil, stirring then take off heat.
12. In a large casserole, layer half the browned onions.
13. Turn meat and sauce over them and top with remaining onions.
14. Pour remaining ale over the meat and gently stir in sugar.
15. Cover tightly with lid and transfer casserole to oven
16. Cook for 2 hours.
17. Stir in the vinegar.
18. Spread mustard over bread slice.
19. Arrange them, mustard side up over the stew, pushing them lightly into it.
20. Return casserole without lid to the oven and cook another 45 minutes until meat is tender and bread crust is golden brown and crisp
21. Serve hot straight out of the casserole.