- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Caraway Sauerkraut Recipe
|Yellow onion||1 Large, peeled and chopped fine|
|Canned sauerkraut||2 Pound, undrained (1 Can)|
|Caraway seeds||3 Tablespoon|
Calories 115 Calories from Fat 47
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 5 g8.2%
Saturated Fat 2.7 g13.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 10.8 mg
Sodium 1003.4 mg41.8%
Total Carbohydrates 17 g5.7%
Dietary Fiber 8.5 g34%
Sugars 2.7 g
Protein 3 g6.7%
Vitamin A 3.6% Vitamin C 39.7%
Calcium 9.8% Iron 19.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a stock pot or a large skillet, melt the butter over a medium flame.
2. Add the onion and sauté for 5 to 8 minutes until soft and lightly browned.
3. Tip in the sauerkraut and stir.
4. Cover pot with a lid and allow the cabbage to simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Drain of the excess liquid if any.
6. Sprinkle the caraway seeds and stir.
7. Cover again and simmer on a very low flame for 5-7 minutes so that the flavor of the caraway infuses into the cabbage.
8. Serve the sauerkraut hot or cold. It is a wonderful accompaniment to stews and grilled meats.