- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Caraway Cabbage Soup Recipe
|Cabbage head||2 Pound, coarsely chopped (1 Piece)|
|Chicken stock||5 Cup (80 tbs)|
|Caraway seed||1 Teaspoon|
|Beer||12 Ounce (1 Can Or Bottle)|
|Flour||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Cream/Half and half/milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
Calories 537 Calories from Fat 139
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 15 g23.5%
Saturated Fat 8.9 g44.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 37.3 mg
Sodium 680.9 mg28.4%
Total Carbohydrates 80 g26.8%
Dietary Fiber 6.4 g25.7%
Sugars 32.5 g
Protein 14 g28.7%
Vitamin A 12.4% Vitamin C 139.8%
Calcium 23.9% Iron 13.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a saucepan, melt the butter or margarine.
2. Add the cabbage and sauté until wilted.
3. Stir in the stock, caraway and pepper.
4. Cover pan and allow the cabbage to simmer for almost 50 minutes.
5. Tip in the beer and simmer covered for another 10 minutes.
6. In a small bowl, add flour and 2 tablespoons of cream and blend to make a smooth paste and then blend in remaining cream.
7. Just before serving time, add the flour-cream mixture to the simmering soup, and heat, stirring constantly, until slightly thick.
8. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt, according to preference.
9. Ladle soup into warm soup bowls or cups and serve piping hot accompanied with crusty bread.