- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Caramelized Brussel Sprouts Recipe Video
|Brussel sprouts||1 Pound|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Salt and pepper||To Taste|
|Maple bacon strips||3 , sliced|
|Shallot||1 , finely chopped|
|Red pepper flakes||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
Calories 114 Calories from Fat 56
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 6 g9.8%
Saturated Fat 1.5 g7.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 2.2 mg
Sodium 207.2 mg8.6%
Total Carbohydrates 11 g3.7%
Dietary Fiber 4.4 g17.4%
Sugars 2.5 g
Protein 5 g9.8%
Vitamin A 18.7% Vitamin C 161.7%
Calcium 5% Iron 9.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat the oven to 400 F.
2. Cut the bacon in slices and finely chop the shallot.
3. With sharp knife, cut off the ends of sprouts and peel and discard the top layer of the leaves.
4. Cut the sprouts in half and put in a bowl.
5. Drizzle olive oil and sprinkle salt and pepper over the sprouts and toss to coat.
6. In a foil lined baking sheet, put the sprouts, place it in oven and allow to cook for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the sprouts caramelise and turn golden brown.
7. In a pan over medium high heat, sauté the bacon until it renders and turn golden brown in colour.
8. Using a paper towel, soak most of the fat from bacon and discard.
9. In the same pan with bacon and little fat, add the shallots, allow to cook for 1 minute or so.
10. Add in salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and the cooked brussel sprouts and toss well to mix.
11. Serve hot as desired.