- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Caramel Custards Recipe
|Castor sugar||1 1⁄2 Ounce (40 Gram)|
|Vanilla essence||2 Drop|
|Granulated sugar/Castor sugar||3 Tablespoon (Rounded Tablespoon)|
Calories 216 Calories from Fat 71
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 8 g12.1%
Saturated Fat 3.2 g16.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 220.5 mg
Sodium 106.1 mg4.4%
Total Carbohydrates 27 g9.1%
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 27.1 g
Protein 9 g18.4%
Vitamin A 6.7% Vitamin C
Calcium 12.8% Iron 5.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Use a metal mould of about 1 1/2-pint (scant 1-litre) capacity, a 6-inch (15-cm) deep cake tin would be ideal.
2) First prepare the caramel for lining the moulds.
3) In a dry saucepan, measure the sugar and place over moderate heat.
4) Stir until the sugar melts and turns a golden brown.
5) At first the sugar will become rough and lumpy, but continue stirring until it melts.
6) When golden brown, remove pan from heat and add the water.
7) Take care, the mixture will boil up with the addition of a cold liquid.
8) Replace the pan to the heat and stir until any bits of caramel have dissolved and you have a thick syrup.
9) Pour a little into the base of four ungreased individual mouldsâ€”small 1/3-pint 1/4-litre) pudding moulds are ideal.
10) Holding each mould in a cloth, tip slightly so that the caramel coats the inside.
11) Set aside while preparing the custard.
12) In a mixing basin, crack the eggs add the sugar and a few drops of vanilla essence.
13) Whisk to break up the eggs, then whisk in the milk.
14) Strain the mixture into a jug and then pour into each mould.
15) Place the moulds in a shallow baking or roasting tin with cold water up to about 1/2 inch (1 cm).
16) Place in the centre of a slow oven (300°F, 150°C or Gas No. 2) and bake for 1 hour.
17) If the moulds are close together, allow 1 1/4 hours.
18) Remove from heat and leave until cold before serving.
19) Loosen the top edge of each custard with a knife and turn into individual serving glasses.
20) Serve the individual caramel custrads as dessert.
TIP: This same mixture can be baked as one caramel custard.