- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Caponata - Italian Recipe Video
|Eggplants||2 1⁄5 Pound|
|Capers||3 Tablespoon, drained, rinsed|
|Tomatoes on the vine||500 Gram|
|Pine nuts||60 Gram|
|White sugar||50 Gram|
|Green olives||200 Gram, pitted|
|Celery stalks||600 Gram|
|Basil leaves||6 Small|
|Extra virgin olive oil||To Taste|
|Coarse salt||To Taste|
|Red wine vinegar||100 Milliliter|
Calories 331 Calories from Fat 119
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 15 g22.3%
Saturated Fat 0.96 g4.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 471.7 mg19.7%
Total Carbohydrates 49 g16.4%
Dietary Fiber 15.6 g62.4%
Sugars 27.8 g
Protein 8 g15.8%
Vitamin A 37.3% Vitamin C 53.3%
Calcium 18.6% Iron 13.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Begin by cutting off the ends of the eggplants, wash and cut into cubes, put them in a colander and sprinkle with coarse salt.
2. Cover with a plate, place the colander in a bowl, since the eggplants will release their bitter juice. Let them rest for at least 2 hours.
3 Wash the celery stalks, remove the leaves as well as any tough strings and cut into small pieces. Then blanch in salted water for a couple of minutes, and drain.
Let the celery cool a bit, pat it dry with kitchen paper, then pan-fry in olive oil keep the flame low. After frying the celery, place it in a sieve to drain the excess oil, to make the recipe a bit lighter.
4. Cut the onions into pieces, next peel the tomatoes and cut into cubes. In another pan, put the extra virgin olive oil and the onion and sauté on a low flame for at least 15 minutes, and then add the capers, the pine nuts, olives and tomatoes cook on a high flame for at least 20 minutes.
5. Wash the eggplants, pat them dry with a clean cloth and fry them, when the eggplants are fried, combine all the ingredients and the celery stir everything increase the heat and add the sugar, which has been dissolved in about ½ cup of vinegar and cook until the sharp smell of vinegar disappears.
6. Roughly chop the basil leaves over the caponata and let it rest for an hour before serving.
7. Serve the Caponata with Italian bread.