- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Caponata: An Italian Eggplant Favorite Recipe Video
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon (As required to coat the bottom of the pan)|
|Garlic cloves||3 Medium, chopped|
|Yellow onion||1⁄2 Medium, chopped|
|Purple eggplant||2 Large, cut into chunks|
|Sea salt||To Taste|
|Ripe tomatoes||7 Medium, de-seeded and chopped|
|Dried oregano||1 Teaspoon|
|Salted capers||2 1⁄2 Teaspoon (2 to 2 1/2 tsp used)|
|Ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Gaeta olives||4 Teaspoon, pits removed|
|Flat leaf parsley||2 Tablespoon|
Calories 89 Calories from Fat 39
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 4 g6.8%
Saturated Fat 0.61 g3.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 68.6 mg2.9%
Total Carbohydrates 13 g4.2%
Dietary Fiber 5.7 g23%
Sugars 5.6 g
Protein 2 g4.8%
Vitamin A 25.7% Vitamin C 36.5%
Calcium 3.9% Iron 6.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Heat up a pan with olive oil. Add the chopped garlic and onions. Saute for a while.
2. Add the chopped purple eggplants, sea salt to taste, stir them gently, cover the pan and let it cook for a few minutes.
3. Add the chopped tomatoes, dried oregano, capers, freshly ground pepper, sea salt (only if required) and pitted gaeta olives. Stir gently, cover the pan and simmer for about 10 minutes.
4. After 10 minutes, add fresh Italian parsley and stir for another couple of minutes before turning off the stove.
5. Serve as a sauce over pasta or serve cold as a dip with crackers of your choice.