- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Cantonese Tomato Beef Recipe
|Beef flank steak/Filet mignon tail||1 Pound (1 Small Steak)|
|Soy sauce||2 Tablespoon|
|Sesame oil||2 Tablespoon, divided|
|Cornstarch||4 Teaspoon, divided|
|Chinese thin wheat noodles/12 ounces dry spaghetti||1 Pound|
|Small onions||7 Ounce, peeled (3 Onions)|
|Ripe tomatoes||2 Pound, cored (5 Large Ones)|
|Beef broth||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Packed brown sugar||2 Tablespoon|
|Cider vinegar||1 Tablespoon|
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon, divided|
|Minced fresh ginger||1 Tablespoon|
|Green onion tops||1 , diagonally cut into thin slices|
|Edible flowers||1 Tablespoon (Such As Nasturtiums, For Garnish)|
Calories 872 Calories from Fat 273
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 31 g47.8%
Saturated Fat 8.1 g40.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 176.5 mg58.8%
Sodium 734.5 mg30.6%
Total Carbohydrates 106 g35.2%
Dietary Fiber 13 g52%
Sugars 19.3 g
Protein 44 g88.1%
Vitamin A 40.8% Vitamin C 57.3%
Calcium 12.2% Iron 26.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Discard excess fat from beef and slice it lengthwise into 2 strips.
2) Slice this again into 1/2-inch-thick pieces across the grain.
3) In a large bowl, mix soy sauce, 1 tablespoon sesame oil and 1 teaspoon cornstarch.
4) Coat beef slices with this mixture and keep aside.
5) Chop each onion and tomato into 8 wedges.
6) In a large stockpot, prepare noodles as per package instructions until al dente and drain.
7) In the meantime, take a small bowl; mix well broth, sugar, remaining 1 tablespoon cornstarch and vinegar in it and keep aside.
8) Mix remaining sesame oil with drained noodles and keep warm.
9) In a wok, heated over high heat for 1 minute, pour 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil and heat for 30 seconds until drizzles.
10) Sauté ginger in it for about 30 seconds until it releases an aroma.
11) Add in beef mixture and lightly brown it for 5 minutes.
12) Keep aside beef and ginger in a bowl and minimize heat to medium.
13) To the wok, add remaining vegetable oil and sauté onion wedges for about 2 minutes until translucent.
14) Mix in 1/2 of tomato wedges and broth mixture and cook until liquid boils and thickens, stirring continuously.
15) Stir in beef, any juices and remaining tomato wedges and stir cook until done.
16) In a shallow serving bowl, place cooked noodles and pour over tomato-beef mixture.
17) Add green onion and use edible flowers to garnish.
18) Serve at once.