- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Cantonese-Style Beef Soup with Tomatoes and Potatoes Recipe Video
|Ripe firm tomatoes||8 Large, diced|
|Potatoes||6 Medium, cut into cubes|
|Beef bones/Pork bones||1 1⁄2 Pound (can substitute with chicken thighs but will taste different)|
|Beef brisket||1 Pound, cut into cubes (If you're using other kinds of meat don't use this)|
|Yellow onions||8 Medium, sliced|
|Ginger||50 Gram, sliced|
|Green onion||1 Teaspoon, chopped (Optional)|
Calories 682 Calories from Fat 296
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 33 g50.9%
Saturated Fat 12.8 g64.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 126.4 mg42.1%
Sodium 915.8 mg38.2%
Total Carbohydrates 58 g19.2%
Dietary Fiber 9.3 g37.4%
Sugars 10.4 g
Protein 39 g77.1%
Vitamin A 41.2% Vitamin C 109.5%
Calcium 5.2% Iron 24.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Rinse the beef bones and beef brisket with water, pat dry and parboil with for around 10 minutes.
2. Take out the beef with a sifter and put to side.
3. Pour around 7 litres of water into a pot, put on high heat till it's boiling.
4. Add the parboiled beef brisket, beef bones and ginger into the boiling water.
5. Boil for about 15 minutes. Remember to stir occasionally. Placing chopsticks in between the pot and lid can help prevent spilling when simmering.
6. While the beef is boiling, cut up the tomatoes and onions into pieces.
7. Put the tomato and onion pieces into the soup and boil for another 20 minutes on medium high heat.
8. During this 20 minutes, peel and cut the potatoes into pieces. The potatoes don't have to be in unanimous shapes as we just want them to melt into the soup and yet maintain some of its shape.
9. Put the potato pieces into the soup and simmer for around 30 minutes or so on medium low heat. Occasionally skim off the scum and oil on the surface of the soup.
10. After boiling for 30 minutes, season the soup with salt and sugar accordingly to your taste. The soup will get more flavorful afterwards so make sure you don't over season it!
11. Boil for around 10 minutes on medium heat, the soup should reach a milky consistency (as shown on the video), if not, just let it boil for a bit more.
12. Make sure to taste it and season accordingly to your taste before serving!
13. Ladle the soup in a soup bowl and add some chopped green onions on top for garnish if you like.
14. You're done! The soup is now ready to serve!