- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Candy Cane Cookies Recipe Video
|For the wet mixture|
|Butter||1 Cup (16 tbs), softened (Room temperature)|
|Confectioners sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Powdered sugar)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Almond extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Peppermint extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Optional)|
|For the dry mixture|
|All purpose flour||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Candy canes||6 Medium, crushed (Casing removed and crushed in zip-lock bag with a rolling pin)|
|Red food coloring||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|For brushing and dusting the cookies|
|Melted butter||2 Tablespoon|
|White sugar/Regular sugar||1 Tablespoon (As needed)|
Calories 262 Calories from Fat 126
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 14 g22%
Saturated Fat 8.9 g44.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 49 mg
Sodium 71 mg3%
Total Carbohydrates 31 g10.3%
Dietary Fiber 0.56 g2.3%
Sugars 13.3 g
Protein 3 g5.3%
Vitamin A 8.8% Vitamin C
Calcium 0.9% Iron 5.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
Things You Will Need1. Zip-lock bag
2. Rolling pin
1. Combine and mix butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
2. Beat in egg and extracts.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together salt, flour, and crushed candy canes.
4. Gradually mix in flour mixture to other wet mixture until just combined to form a dough.
5. Separate dough into 2 equal portions. Add red food coloring to 1 portion of the dough and mix until coloring has turned the dough entirely red.
6. Place both portions (1 dyed red, 1 plain) into large zip lock bags and refrigerate for 1 hour (or overnight).
7. Thaw until workable. Place on a cutting board, sprinkle a light layer of confectioner's (powdered) sugar over the surface.
8. Preheat oven to 375 F (190 C).
9. From each section of dough, take 1/4 of each dough (1 heaping tbsp of each dough), roll out, and cut into four 4-inch ropes.
9. Place each rope (1 red, 1 plain) side-by-side, twist (pinching one the ends together first), and press together lightly.
10. Place on ungreased baking sheet and curve one end down to form the candy cane shape.
11. Repeat with remaining cookie dough, placing each on the baking sheet 2 inches apart.
12. Brush each cookie lightly with melted butter. Sprinkle sugar on top.
13. Bake in the preheated oven for 9 - 10 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes then remove carefully.
14. Serve as it is.