- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Goat 's Cheese, Beet and Mixed Green Salad with Candied Walnuts and Balsamic Dressing Recipe Video
|Walnuts||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped|
|Beets||2 Medium, scrubbed and chopped|
|Red wine||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Balsamic vinegar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|Fresh herb mix||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (combination of parsley and cilantro)|
|Goat cheese||5 Tablespoon (crusted with cranberries)|
|Baby spinach||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Baby lettuce||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
Calories 882 Calories from Fat 397
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 47 g71.9%
Saturated Fat 12.4 g62.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 39.4 mg
Sodium 565.1 mg23.5%
Total Carbohydrates 77 g25.6%
Dietary Fiber 19.7 g78.9%
Sugars 50.1 g
Protein 29 g58.2%
Vitamin A 26.9% Vitamin C 42%
Calcium 49.4% Iron 36.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Take a dish and put the chopped walnuts onto it and roast them in an oven heated to 350 F for 10 minutes.
2. In a separate dish place beets and put them in the oven along with the walnuts and roast till they are tender.
3. Meanwhile heat a pan in medium high heat and pour red wine and balsamic vinegar to reduce it.
4. To this add brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla.
5. When the reduction starts to boil, turn the heat down to medium low so that it simmers. Reduce by a third for about 10 minutes. At that point add the warm walnuts. Stir to make sure all the nuts are coated with the liquid. Continue to cook on a medium heat until the liquid dissolves and creates a nice glaze over the nuts.
6. Remove from heat.
7. Serve the candied walnuts with with herb salad and fresh roasted beets, goat cheese that is crusted in cranberries