- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Crunchy Sweet Potato Fries And Korean Matang Recipe Video
|Sweet potato||1 Pound|
|Vegetable oil||5 1⁄2 Cup (88 tbs) (Canola oil, for deep frying)|
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Black sesame seeds||1 Teaspoon (as needed)|
Calories 420 Calories from Fat 273
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 31 g47.6%
Saturated Fat 4 g20.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 62.5 mg2.6%
Total Carbohydrates 36 g11.9%
Dietary Fiber 3.5 g14.2%
Sugars 17.2 g
Protein 2 g4%
Vitamin A 321.7% Vitamin C 4.5%
Calcium 4.6% Iron 4.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
For sweet potato fries :
1. Peel a sweet potato. Rinse, drain, and dry it with paper towel.
For Crunchy candied sweet potato (Matang) :
2. Peel a 1 pound Korean sweet potato.
3. Rinse it in cold water and dry it with paper towel or cotton cloth.
4. Slice it into chunks that look like smooth-edged triangles, about 2 inches wide and ½ inch thick.
5. Cut it into thin strips 1/3 -1/4 inch thick and 5-6 inch long.
To make sweet potato fries :
6. Put 5 cups of vegetable oil into a wok or frying pan and heat it up.
7. Add the sweet potato strips to the heated oil.
8. Fry about 6-8 minutes until crunchy and golden brown.
9. Put them in a paper towel to remove excess oil.
To make Crunchy candied sweet potato (Matang) :
10. Put about 5 cups of canola oil (or vegetable oil) in a wok or frying pan and heat it up for about 7-8 minutes.
11. Fry the chunks of the sweet potato over medium high heat for about 6-8 minutes until golden brown. You can tell if the oil is hot enough to fry by dipping the tip of a sweet potato chunk into it. If it bubbles, it’s the right temperature to fry.
To make coating syrup:
12. In a thick bottomed pan, add 1 tbsp vegetable oil spread the oil by moving the pan around.
13. Sprinkle ¼ cup of white sugar on over the oil evenly.
14. Heat it up over medium heat for a couple of minutes.
15. When the sugar starts melting, lower the heat and simmer about 7-8 minutes more, until the sugar turns into golden-brownish syrup. Never stir the syrup with a spoon but spread it by moving your pan.
16. Lay out a non stick sheet of baking parchment.
17. Add the fried sweet potato to the syrup in the pan. Gently mix to coat the potato chunks in the syrup.
18. Sprinkle some black sesame seeds over top.
19. Transfer the potato to the parchment sheet. Leave a gap between each potato piece so that they don’t stick to each other.
20. When the coating cools down and become solid, transfer to a serving bowl.