- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Canadian Split Pea Soup Recipe
|Smoked ham hock||6 Ounce|
|Finely chopped celery||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Finely chopped onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Finely chopped carrot||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Hot water||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Canned chicken broth||29 Ounce (2 Cans, 14 1/2 Ounce Each)|
|Green split peas||16 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Dried thyme leaves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Sour cream||8 Ounce (1 Container)|
Calories 691 Calories from Fat 230
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 26 g39.9%
Saturated Fat 11.7 g58.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 58.2 mg
Sodium 1666.4 mg69.4%
Total Carbohydrates 80 g26.7%
Dietary Fiber 30.6 g122.3%
Sugars 13.9 g
Protein 40 g80.4%
Vitamin A 68.7% Vitamin C 10.7%
Calcium 17.7% Iron 37.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Take a bowl to combine hot water, chicken broth, split peas, thyme, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Set it aside.
2) Take a 4-quart casserole for combining ham hock, butter, celery, onion and carrot. Tightly cover the casserole with plastic food wrap.
3) Set your microwave at Power Hi for 3 minutes to cook.
4) Bring out the casserole and add the prepared mixture. Again tightly cover with plastic food wrap and place inside microwave.
5) Set your microwave at Power Hi for 10 minutes to cook.
6) Reduce the heat of microwave oven to Power 5 and cook for 70-80 minutes until the peas turn soft and tender. You will need to stir the ingredients for every 15 minutes.
7) Cut off ham meat by removing ham hock. Reserve this to garnish your soup.
8) Take your food processor to puree the soup smoothly.
9) Take the casserole to pour this mixture back.
10) Set your microwave at Power Hi for 2-3 minutes or until the soup is thoroughly heated.
11) Use soup bowls to ladle soup by garnishing with reserved ham and topped with a dollop of sour cream.