- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Calico Rice Recipe
|Mushrooms||1⁄4 Pound, sliced|
|Fresh mushrooms||1⁄4 Pound, sliced to make 1 1/2 cups|
|Celery||1 Cup (16 tbs), sliced|
|Diagonally sliced celery||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Green onions||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), sliced|
|Sliced green onions||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Canned au jus/Chicken giblet gravy||21 Ounce (2 cans, 10 1/2 ounces each)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), shredded|
|Quick cooking rice||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs), uncooked|
|Shredded cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
Calories 683 Calories from Fat 70
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 8 g12.3%
Saturated Fat 4.7 g23.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 23.6 mg
Sodium 7309.8 mg304.6%
Total Carbohydrates 123 g41.1%
Dietary Fiber 3.5 g14.1%
Sugars 2 g
Protein 16 g32.6%
Vitamin A 24.4% Vitamin C 20%
Calcium 26.8% Iron 14.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat the oven to 300°F
2. Heat a 2-quart Dutch oven or oven proof casserole over moderate heat .
3. Add the bacon and fry, to render fat, until crisp
4. Remove bacon to a plate using a slotted spoon and crumble when cool. Set aside.
5. Retain 2 tablespoon of drippings in the casserole and drain off the rest.
6. Heat and then add mushrooms, celery and onion.
7. Saute until mushrooms are tender and lightly browned.
8. Tip in the gravy and water stir to mix well.
9. Increase heat to moderate and add rice.
10. Bring to a boil, stirring often to prevent rice from sticking to the sides.
11. Cover with lid and transfer to the middle level of preheated oven.
12. Bake covered 15 minutes.
13. When rice is tender and stock is absorbed stir in the crumbled bacon, using a fork to fluff up rice and lightly mix gently.
14. Top with cheese.
15. Bake for another 5 minutes.
16. Cover again and let rice stand in its steam for 5 minutes for the flavors to be absorbed.
17. This is a perfect side dish to grilled meats.