- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Calcutta Mulligatawny Soup Recipe
|Chili powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Flaked coconut||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs) (Canned)|
|Apple juice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Light cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Hot cooked white rice||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Parsley||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Roasting chicken||20 Pound, cut up|
|All purpose flour||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs) (Unsifted)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Onion||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), chopped|
|Carrot||2 Cup (32 tbs), chopped|
|Celery||2 Cup (32 tbs), chopped|
|Pared tart apple||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), chopped|
Calories 2792 Calories from Fat 1817
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 202 g311.2%
Saturated Fat 66.7 g333.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 881.3 mg
Sodium 1809.4 mg75.4%
Total Carbohydrates 33 g10.9%
Dietary Fiber 4.4 g17.5%
Sugars 11.2 g
Protein 198 g395.9%
Vitamin A 157.4% Vitamin C 123%
Calcium 20.4% Iron 72.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Wash and pat dry the chicken with paper towels.
2) Arrange all the other ingredients.
3) In flour, roll the chicken pieces, coating completely.
4) Reserve the remaining flour, if any.
5) In large kettle or Dutch oven, heat the butter or margarine and saute chicken until well browned on all sides.
6) Remove chicken from kettle, and set aside.
7) To the kettle, add the onion, carrot, celery, apple, and any remaining flour; cook, stirring, 5 minutes.
8) Stir in curry powder, salt, mace, pepper, chili powder, coconut, chicken, and 6 cups cold water; mix well.
9) Boil the mixture; lower the heat, cover the kettle and simmer for 2 hours.
10) Keep stirring occasionally.
11) Remove kettle from heat and skim off fat from the surface.
12) Remove skin and bone from chicken.
13) Cut chicken meat into large pieces; keep aside.
14) Through blender pass the soup and return to kettle with chicken.
15) Add apple juice and light cream; reheat the soup.
16) In each of 6-8 bowls, place a heaped spoon of cooked rice and pour soup over.
17) Sprinkle each serving with parsley.