- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Cabbage Or Swiss Chard Meat Balls Recipe
|Swiss chard leaves/Cabbage||12 Large|
|Ground lamb/Lean beef||1 Pound|
|Cooked brown rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Minced onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), peeled|
|Egg||1 , slightly beaten|
|Celery salt||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Salad oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Tomatoes||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
Calories 603 Calories from Fat 324
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 36 g55.7%
Saturated Fat 12.4 g62.2%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 135.6 mg
Sodium 1059.4 mg44.1%
Total Carbohydrates 41 g13.5%
Dietary Fiber 4.3 g17.3%
Sugars 4.2 g
Protein 25 g49.8%
Vitamin A 193.2% Vitamin C 92.1%
Calcium 11.3% Iron 28.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a saucepan, boil water.
2. Wash the swish chard or cabbage leaves, cut of stem and add to boiling water. Blanch for a minutes and then drain and refresh.
3. In a medium size work bowl,
4. Combine meat, rice, onion, egg and seasonings and mix well.
5. Divide mixture into 12 equal portions and shape firm balls.
6. Wrap the meatballs in the blanched cabbage leave, roll and seal using toothpicks.
7. In a large non-stick skillet, heat oil.
8. Arrange the stuffed cabbage rolls in skillet and brown, turn to brown all sides.
9. Add tomatoes, seasonings and water to rolls in the pan.
10. Cover the skillet and simmer meatball rolls on a low flame, for 40 minutes, turning once after 20 minutes and adding a little water if required, keeping the cabbage rolls moist and preventing them from sticking in the pan.
11. Remove the toothpicks before you serve in a soup plate.