- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
|Butternut squash||2 1⁄4 Pound (1 Medium)|
|Nonstick vegetable oil spray||1 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Medium, chopped to make 1 cup|
|Grated ginger||1 Tablespoon|
|Unsalted butter||1 Tablespoon|
|Chicken broth/Canned reduced-sodium chicken broth||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Or As Needed)|
|Non fat sour cream/Low fat sour cream||2 Teaspoon (Optional)|
|Apple slices||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Optional)|
Calories 278 Calories from Fat 75
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 8 g13%
Saturated Fat 3.3 g16.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 11.1 mg
Sodium 760.6 mg31.7%
Total Carbohydrates 51 g17%
Dietary Fiber 8.3 g33.2%
Sugars 12.5 g
Protein 5 g11%
Vitamin A 726.1% Vitamin C 128.7%
Calcium 18.6% Iron 14.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat oven to 400°F.
2) Halve squash lengthwise. Scoop out and discard the seeds.
3) Grease a roasting pan with the nonstick vegetable oil spray.
4) Place the halves in a roasting pan cut side down.
5) Bake squash in oven for 40 to 45 minutes till tender.
6) Keep aside to cool.
7) When cooled, scoop the flesh from the skin.
8) In a saucepan heat butter, cook the onion and the ginger, over moderate low heat for 5 minutes or till onion is soft.
9) Stir in broth and simmer covered for 10 minutes.
10) Add squash pulp and stir.
11) Pour mixture to a blender or a food processor, in batches, and puree until smooth.
12) Mix enough water to achieve desired consistency.
13) Add salt and pepper to taste.
14) Transfer soup back to the saucepan and cook over moderate heat till hot.
15) Heap a teaspoon of low-fat sour cream and a few apple slices over it.