- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Butternut Squash Sandwich Recipe
|Butternut squash||1 Small|
|Whole blanched almonds||4|
|Plain low fat yogurt||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Peanut butter||2 Teaspoon|
|Scallion||1 , trimmed and chopped|
|Whole wheat bread slices||4 (1/2-inch-thick)|
|Romaine lettuce leaves||2 Large, torn into bite-size pieces|
|Tomato||1 Small, sliced|
|Alfalfa sprouts||1 Ounce|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 950 Calories from Fat 187
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 21 g32.1%
Saturated Fat 3.3 g16.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 3.4 mg
Sodium 993.5 mg41.4%
Total Carbohydrates 177 g59.1%
Dietary Fiber 27.3 g109.2%
Sugars 34.9 g
Protein 34 g67.6%
Vitamin A 1972.7% Vitamin C 355.1%
Calcium 79.4% Iron 67.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
3. Using a large, heavy knife, carefully halve the squash. Place the squash halves cut side down on the baking sheet and bake 25 minutes, or until the flesh is tender when pierced with a knife. Remove the squash from the oven and set aside to cool.
4. Meanwhile, place the almonds in a small skillet and toast them over medium-high heat 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden, tossing them frequently to prevent scorching.
5. For the dressing, place the almonds in a food processor or blender, (if using a blender, coarsely chop the almonds first) and process until pureed. Add the yogurt, peanut butter, scallion and salt, and process until blended; set aside.
6. When the squash is cool enough to handle, remove and discard the seeds and stringy membranes. Peel one squash half and cut it lengthwise into four 1/4-inch-thick slices. Dip the squash slices in the dressing and set aside.
7. Toast the bread and spread each piece with 1 tablespoon of dressing. Layer the Romaine, tomato, squash and sprouts on 2 pieces of toast and top with the remaining dressing.