- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Butternut Squash and Maple Pie Recipe
|Butternut squash||1 Small|
|Water||60 Milliliter (4 Tablespoon)|
|Fresh root ginger||1 Inch, peeled and grated|
|Double cream||4 Fluid Ounce (120 Milliliter / 1/2 Cup)|
|Maple syrup||90 Milliliter (6 Tablespoon)|
|Muscovado sugar||45 Milliliter (3 Tablespoon, Molasses)|
|Eggs||3 , lightly beaten|
|Brandy||30 Milliliter (2 Tablespoon)|
|Grated nutmeg||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
|For the pastry|
|Plain all purpose flour||6 Ounce (175 Grams / 1 1/2 Cup)|
|Butter||4 Ounce, diced (115 Grams / 1/2 Cup)|
|Superfine sugar||2 Teaspoon (Castor Sugar)|
|Egg||1 , lightly beaten|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3272 Calories from Fat 1597
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 180 g276.6%
Saturated Fat 66.8 g334.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1301.2 mg433.7%
Sodium 666.6 mg27.8%
Total Carbohydrates 356 g118.7%
Dietary Fiber 23.1 g92.2%
Sugars 131.3 g
Protein 61 g121.9%
Vitamin A 2009.4% Vitamin C 317.8%
Calcium 68.4% Iron 111%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Halve the butternut squash, peel and scoop out the seeds. Cut the flesh into cubes and put in a pan with the water. Cover and cook gently for 15 minutes. Remove the lid, stir in the ginger and cook for a further 5 minutes until all the liquid has evaporated and the squash is tender. Cool slightly, then puree in a food processor until smooth.
3. Roll out the pastry and use to line a 23cm/9in flan tin (quiche pan). Gather up the trimmings, re-roll them thinly, then cut them into maple leaf shapes. Brush the edge of the pastry case with beaten egg and attach the maple leaf shapes at regular intervals to make a decorative rim. Cover with clear film and chill for 30 minutes.
4. Put a heavy baking sheet in the oven and preheat to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Prick the pastry base with a fork and line with foil and fill with baking beans. Bake blind on the hot baking sheet for 12 minutes.
5. Remove the foil and beans and bake for a further 5 minutes. Brush the base of the pastry case with beaten egg and return to the oven for about 3 minutes. Lower the oven temperature to 180°C/ 350°F/Gas 4.
6. Mix 200g/7oz/scant 1 cup of the butternut puree with the cream, syrup, sugar, eggs, brandy and grated nutmeg. (Discard any remaining puree.) Pour into the pastry case. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the filling is lightly set. Cool slightly, then serve with cream.