- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Egg-lessButtermilk Cake Recipe
|Currants and peel||1 Cup (16 tbs), mixed|
|Sodium bicarbonate||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground nutmeg||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Buttermilk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Mixed spice||1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Golden syrup||1 Tablespoon|
Calories 471 Calories from Fat 147
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 17 g25.7%
Saturated Fat 10 g49.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 40.6 mg
Sodium 247.5 mg10.3%
Total Carbohydrates 75 g24.9%
Dietary Fiber 3.2 g12.8%
Sugars 37.4 g
Protein 7 g13.6%
Vitamin A 9.8% Vitamin C 27.5%
Calcium 3.1% Iron 13.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degree F.
2. Grease a loaf tin with butter or oil.
3. Into a small bowl, sift flour and salt together.
4. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
5. Stir in the currants and peel, soda, and spice.
6. Lightly fold in the flour mixture in batches, alternately adding buttermilk alternately.
7. Stir in the syrup in the end.
8. Pour the batter into loaf tin and tap lightly to spread evenly.
9. Bake the cake for about 45 minutes in the hot oven or until spongy to touch.
10. Remove and let cool in the tin then invert onto a wire rack and let it cool.
11. Slice and serve the cake at tea-time or enjoy as a snack.