- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Buttermilk Wheat Bread Recipe
|Active dry yeast||1⁄2 Ounce (2 Envelopes)|
|Warm water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Honey||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Buttermilk||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Vegetable shortening||2 Tablespoon|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Whole wheat flour||3 1⁄2 Cup (56 tbs)|
|Cracked wheat||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sifted all purpose flour||2 1⁄4 Cup (36 tbs)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3824 Calories from Fat 413
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 47 g72.9%
Saturated Fat 9.8 g49.2%
Trans Fat 3.9 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 6569.4 mg273.7%
Total Carbohydrates 748 g249.4%
Dietary Fiber 94.1 g376.5%
Sugars 64.8 g
Protein 134 g267.8%
Vitamin A 1.1% Vitamin C 0.7%
Calcium 27.1% Iron 206.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Heat buttermilk with shortening, remaining honey and salt in small saucepan to lukewarm; combine with yeast mixture in large bowl.
3. Stir in baking soda, whole-wheat flour and the cracked wheat until smooth; beat in enough all purpose flour to make a soft dough.
4. Turn out onto lightly floured pastry board or cloth. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes, using enough flour to keep the dough from sticking.
5. Place in a buttered bowl, turn to bring buttered-side up. Cover with a towel. Let rise in a warm place, away from draft, 1 hour, or until double in bulk.
6. Punch dough down; turn out onto floured pastry cloth or board, knead a few times; invert a bowl over dough; let rest 10 minutes.
7. Divide dough in half and knead each half a few times. Roll each piece to an 18x8-inch rectangle. Roll up from short side, jelly-roll fashion. Pinch ends together. Place each loaf, seam-side down, in greased, 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2-inch pan.
8. Let rise again in a warm place, away from draft, 40 minutes, or until double in bulk.
9. Bake in moderate oven (375°) for 35 to 40 minutes or till golden-brown and loaves sound hollow when tapped. Remove from pans to racks; cool completely.