- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Butter Scones Recipe
|Flour||3 Cup (48 tbs), sifted|
|Baking powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Eggs||2 , well beaten|
|Milk||7 Tablespoon, chilled|
Calories 221 Calories from Fat 102
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 12 g17.8%
Saturated Fat 6.9 g34.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 63 mg
Sodium 163.7 mg6.8%
Total Carbohydrates 25 g8.2%
Dietary Fiber 0.85 g3.4%
Sugars 0.6 g
Protein 5 g9.3%
Vitamin A 7.2% Vitamin C
Calcium 8.3% Iron 9.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat the oven to 475°F before you start making the scones.
2. Into a large mixing bowl, sift flour, baking powder and salt.
3. Into the dry ingredients, add small cubes of butter.
4. Using your fingertips, rub the flour and butter until mixture resembles crumbs.
5. Add the eggs and milk and using a fork, quickly but lightly mix just until the mixture binds together to form a ball.
6. Turn dough out onto a flour dusted work surface.
7. Using a floured rolling pin, roll quickly into a ½ inch thick rectangle.
8. Lightly mark into three portions and fold one side into center and other side on top.
9. Turn dough and roll out again.
10. Repeat folding, turning and rolling two more times working quickly.
11. Let the dough rest for 10 minutes.
12. Roll out one last time into 1/2 inch thick rectangle.
13. Use a 2 1/2-inch round cookie cutter or glass to cut out circles.
14. Arrange scones on a baking sheet keeping a 2 inch distance between each.
15. Bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes, or until puffed and a golden.
16. Remove and loosen with a spatula.
17. Pile into a bread basket and serve warm and fresh with butter and preserves.