- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Butter Pecan Brittle Recipe
|Sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Light corn syrup||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chopped toasted pecans||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Butter||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4404 Calories from Fat 1141
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 132 g202.9%
Saturated Fat 41.1 g205.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 121 mg
Sodium 5319.8 mg221.7%
Total Carbohydrates 842 g280.7%
Dietary Fiber 12.3 g49%
Sugars 505.5 g
Protein 25 g50%
Vitamin A 28.1% Vitamin C
Calcium 5.2% Iron 73.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Take a heavy Dutch oven and butter its sides.
2. In a pan combine sugar, 1 cup whipping cream, corn syrup and butter and cook with constant stirring over medium-low heat until sugar dissolves.
3. On sides of pan using a pastry brush dipped in hot water, wash down any sugar crystals.
4. To the pan attach a candy thermometer, making sure thermometer does not touch bottom of pan and bring to a boil continuing to stir increasing heat to medium.
5. Increase heat to medium and bring to a boil letting it cook, without stirring, until syrup reaches hard-crack stage (approximately 300 to 310 degrees) and turns light golden in color.
6. Check pouring about 1/2 teaspoon syrup in ice water if it forms hard threads in ice water but will soften when removed from the water.
7. Removing from heat stir in pecans, butter, vanilla and salt and stir until butter melts.
8. Add baking soda (syrup will foam) and stir until soda dissolves.
9. Onto a large piece of buttered aluminum foil pour syrup and using a buttered spatula, pull edges of warm candy until stretched thin.
10. Cool completely, break into pieces and store in an airtight container.
11. Serve as snacks alongside beverages or as desired.