- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Paneer Butter Masala Recipe Video
|Paneer||1⁄2 Pound, cubed|
|Green peas||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Yogurt||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), whipped|
|Asafoetida||1 Pinch (Hing)|
|Cumin seeds||1 Teaspoon (Jeera)|
|Coriander powder||1 Tablespoon (Dhania)|
|Turmeric||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Haldi)|
|Red chili powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Lal Mirchi)|
|Bay leaves||2 (Tej Pata)|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (Or Adjust To Taste)|
|Garam masala||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cilantro||2 Tablespoon, chopped (Green Coriander)|
Calories 196 Calories from Fat 100
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 11 g17.4%
Saturated Fat 2.3 g11.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 9.3 mg
Sodium 717.2 mg29.9%
Total Carbohydrates 15 g5.1%
Dietary Fiber 4.1 g16.3%
Sugars 7.5 g
Protein 10 g20.9%
Vitamin A 26.8% Vitamin C 41.7%
Calcium 15.3% Iron 14.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Blend tomatoes, green chilly and ginger to make a puree.
2. Deep-fry the paneer on low-medium heat until the paneer has a little golden- brown color; set aside.
3. Heat the oil in a saucepan. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to oil; if seed cracks right away oil is ready; add asafetida or hing and cumin seeds.
4. After the cumin seeds crack, add the tomato puree, coriander powder, turmeric, red chili powder and bay leaves; cook for about 4 minutes on medium heat.
5. When tomato mixture start to leave oil and become about half in quantity; add the whipped yogurt into the gravy. Stir occasionally for about 3 minutes on medium heat.
6. To thicken the gravy, dissolve the cornstarch in 3 tablespoons of water and add to the gravy.
7. Add the green peas and paneer; let it cook for a few minutes until the peas are tender.
8. Add the garam masala and cilantro. Add a little sugar if the gravy is sour.
9. Serve hot with Indian bread or warm rice.
You can substitute the yogurt with heavy cream for a richer flavor.
About 1 tablespoon of fresh or dried methi leaves (Fenugreek leaves) can be added at the end.
Cashew paste can be added in the yogurt to make the gravy creamier.
This gravy can be used in any combination of vegetables you desire.
This recipe is only a method – feel free to be creative and experiment!