- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Frosted Burnt Sugar Cake Recipe
|Sifted cake flour||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Unsweetened cocoa||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Vegetable shortening||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Hot water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Burnt sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
Calories 1303 Calories from Fat 527
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 62 g95.7%
Saturated Fat 14.8 g73.8%
Trans Fat 6.7 g
Cholesterol 111.7 mg
Sodium 935 mg39%
Total Carbohydrates 179 g59.7%
Dietary Fiber 13.5 g54.1%
Sugars 78.5 g
Protein 18 g35.6%
Vitamin A 4.2% Vitamin C 0.17%
Calcium 10.8% Iron 35%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Sift flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt onto wax paper. Measure vinegar into a 1-cup measure. Fill cup to 1-cup mark with milk. Let stand 5 minutes to sour.
3. Beat shortening, sugar and eggs in a large bowl with electric mixer at high speed, 3 minutes. (Finish mixing cake by hand.)
4. Stir in dry ingredients alternately with soured milk, beating after each addition, until batter is smooth. Stir in hot water and vanilla; pour batter into prepared cake pans.
5. Bake in moderate oven (350°) 40 minutes, or until centers spring back when lightly pressed with fingertip.
6. Cool layers in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; loosen around edges with a knife; turn out onto wire racks; cool completely.
7. Put layers together with burnt sugar frosting; frost side and top with remaining frosting; drizzle with reserved syrup.