- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Burgundy Beef Pie Recipe
|Chuck steak||1 1⁄2 Pound, well trimmed and cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced|
|Beef broth||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Burgundy wine||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Italian seasoning||1 Teaspoon|
|Tiny pearl onions||12 , peeled|
|Sliced mushrooms||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Frozen puff pastry||8 1⁄2 Ounce, thawed (Half Of 17 1/4 Ounce Package)|
|Beaten egg||1 (To Glaze)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3877 Calories from Fat 2254
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 253 g388.8%
Saturated Fat 73.7 g368.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 666.6 mg
Sodium 3543.6 mg147.7%
Total Carbohydrates 212 g70.6%
Dietary Fiber 4.3 g17%
Sugars 22.8 g
Protein 142 g284.7%
Vitamin A 6.2% Vitamin C 27.1%
Calcium 21.4% Iron 77.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat the oven to 425° F.
2) In a large flameproof casserole, saute the beef cubes in the oil quickly over high heat, in batches, until evenly browned. Remove with a slotted spoon, drain well and keep aside.
3) Lower the heat, stir in the bacon and garlic and saute for 1-2 minutes.
4) Return the beef to the casserole and stir in the broth, red wine, Italian seasoning and bay leaf, salt and pepper. Allow to boil, then reduce the heat, cover and gently simmer for 45-60 minutes.
5) In a skillet, saute the onions in the remaining oil for 5 minutes until soft. Stir the onions into the casserole and simmer for further 15 minutes.
6) In a small bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in water, then stir into the casserole and simmer for 2-3 minutes until slightly thick.
7) Stir in the mushrooms and coat well. Remove in a bowl and cool.
8) Roll out the pastry to top a 9-inch deep pie plate. Cut off the pastry all around the edges. Reserve the trimmings.
9) Spread the filling into the pie dish. Brush the rim of the pie plate with water, then press the narrow strip of pastry all around the rim, then place the large piece of pastry on top. Seal, trim and flute the edge.
10) Roll out the pastry trimmings and shape out "leaves." Brush the pie with beaten egg. Arrange and press the pastry leaves on top, then brush with more beaten egg. Pierce a hole in the center of the pie crust .
11) Chill the pie in the refrigerator for 15 minutes . Then Place the pie on a cookie sheet and bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, then lower the heat to 350° and bake for another 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
12) Slice into wedges and serve immediately.