- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
South African Street Food (Bunny Chow) Recipe Video
|Yellow onion||1⁄2 Medium, chopped (Pureed into a paste)|
|Coriander seeds||2 Tablespoon (Toasted and ground in a mortar and pestle)|
|Cumin||2 Teaspoon, ground|
|Garam masala||2 Teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Oil||2 Tablespoon (For frying)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced|
|Ginger||1 Small, minced (Thumb sized ginger used)|
|Crushed tomatoes||1 Can (10 oz)|
|Rotisserie chicken||1⁄2 Medium (Roughly shredded into chunks)|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Potato||1 Medium, diced|
|Frozen peas||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Salt & pepper||To Taste (To season)|
Calories 341 Calories from Fat 141
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 15 g23.7%
Saturated Fat 2.2 g11%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 39.9 mg
Sodium 1195.4 mg49.8%
Total Carbohydrates 31 g10.3%
Dietary Fiber 7.2 g28.9%
Sugars 3.5 g
Protein 25 g50.6%
Vitamin A 18.4% Vitamin C 35.8%
Calcium 14.8% Iron 27.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Take an oiled skillet and bring it to medium heat and to that add the onion puree made in the food processor.
2. Add minced garlic and ginger to this and stir for about a minute. Add the prepared curry powder mix to it and stir till the flavor builds.
3. Once done add crushed tomatoes and stir it for a while and add the roughly shredded chicken pieces. Then add 2 cups of water and stir. Add the diced potato and cover and simmer for about 10 minutes.
4. After 10 minutes open the lid and add frozen peas and cook for another couple of minutes and season with salt and pepper.
5. Take a bun and scoop a cap out of it and fill it with the prepared curry and close it with the scooped out lid of the bun.
6. Serve warm.