- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Budget Beef Wellington Recipe
|Meat loaf mixture||2 Pound (Ground Beef, Pork, And Veal)|
|Fine dry bread crumbs||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chopped parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Small, chopped to make 1/4 cup|
|Canned sliced mushrooms||4 Ounce|
|Prepared horseradish||1 Tablespoon|
|Piecrust mix||20 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Processed american cheese slice||3 (From An 8-Ounce Package)|
|Herb gravy||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
Calories 798 Calories from Fat 302
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 34 g51.6%
Saturated Fat 11.2 g55.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 244.8 mg
Sodium 1380.2 mg57.5%
Total Carbohydrates 79 g26.5%
Dietary Fiber 4.1 g16.5%
Sugars 4.9 g
Protein 55 g110.6%
Vitamin A 4.6% Vitamin C 6.3%
Calcium 2.5% Iron 56.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a large bowl, combine meat-loaf mixture, 2 of the eggs, bread crumbs, parsley, onion, mushrooms and liquid, horseradish, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.Mix lightly until well-blended.
2. Prepare the jelly-roll pan with a lining of foil. Shape the meat-loaf preparation into a an oval loaf(10x4) and place in the pan.
3. In a moderate oven (375°) bake for 50 minutes. Spoon all drippings from pan; cool loaf. Raise oven temperature to hot (425°).
4. To prepare the pie crust mix, follow the label directions, or make pastry from previous familiar recipe.On a lightly floured board, roll out to a rectangle, about 16x13, and trim the edges to make a rectangle, 14x12. Cut off a triangular piece, about 1 inch deep, across each corner. (This eliminates thick ends when pastry is wrapped around loaf.)
5. In the centre of the pastry rectangle,place cheese slices, side by side. Now place meat loaf, over the cheese.
6. In a cup add 1 teaspoon water and beat remaining one egg.
7. Brush part over one long side of pastry, then wrap the two long sides up and over loaf to cover and press edges together to seal.Brush ends of pastry with egg mixture and fold over loaf. Press to seal.
8. Place loaf, seam side down, on a greased cooky sheet. Brush all over with egg mixture. Reroll pastry trimmings 1/2 inch thick; cut into 1/4-inch-wide strips with a pastry wheel or knife. Press over loaf in a crisscross pattern and brush with egg mixture.
9. In a hot oven bake at (425°)for 25 minutes, or until pastry is golden. Allow to cool a little and the lift loaf onto a heated serving platter.
10. Garnish with tiny pimiento hearts.
11. Cut into thick slices with a sharp knife.