- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Buche De Noel Recipe
|Cake flour||1 Cup (16 tbs), sifted|
|Granulated sugar||1 1⁄3 Cup (21.33 tbs)|
|Eggs||4 , separated|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Rum syrup||1 Tablespoon|
|Mocha cream frosting||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
Calories 841 Calories from Fat 211
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 23 g35.9%
Saturated Fat 6.9 g34.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 211.5 mg
Sodium 282.4 mg11.8%
Total Carbohydrates 153 g51%
Dietary Fiber 3.9 g15.5%
Sugars 113.2 g
Protein 11 g22.9%
Vitamin A 4.9% Vitamin C
Calcium 5.4% Iron 5.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Preheat oven to hot (400° F.).
3. Mix the flour, salt and half the sugar. Sift together three times.
4. Beat the egg whites until stiff. Gradually beat in the remaining sugar. Fold in the vanilla and egg yolks, which have been stiffly beaten. Fold in the flour-sugar mixture, about three tablespoons at a time.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan in parallel strips running lengthwise of the pan. Spread evenly and bake until firm in the center, or about fifteen minutes.
6. Turn the cake out onto waxed paper, or a towel that has been sprinkled with confectioners' sugar. Remove the pan lining and cut off all the edges of the cake. Roll the cake as for jelly roll, without removing the paper or towel. Cool and chill briefly. (The paper or towel will be on the inside of the roll.)
7. Unroll, brush with half the rum syrup and spread with mocha cream frosting. Roll as a jelly roll, this time removing the paper or towel. Wrap in waxed paper and chill thoroughly, or until the frosting becomes firm.
8. Remove the waxed paper and cut off the ends of the cake diagonally for use as "branches."
9. Brush the outside of the cake and the "branches" with the remainder of the rum syrup. Set "branches" aside. Frost cake with mocha cream, using a pastry bag and notched tube and running the strips lengthwise of the cake to give the appearance of bark.
10. Attach the "branches" to the "log" and press into the frosting. Frost with mocha cream.
11. Frost the ends of the "log" and "branches" with alternating rings of mocha cream and yellow decorative frosting, forcing both through pastry tubes. Chill the "log" until the mocha cream is firm.
12. Decorate the log as desired with flowers, "Noel," etc., using decorative frosting and forcing it through different tubes. Serve the cake promptly, storing it in a cool place until serving time so that the butter in the mocha frosting does not soften.