- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Bouche De Marrons Au Chocolate Recipe
|Fresh chestnuts/2 pounds whole unsweetened canned chestnuts, drained, / 4 cups canned unsweetened chestnut puree||4 Pound|
|Superfine sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Unsalted butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), melted (1 Stick)|
|Calvados/Applejack / cognac||3 Tablespoon|
|Semi sweet chocolate||8 Ounce, melted and cooled (Preferably Maillard)|
|Whipping cream||1 Cup (16 tbs) (For Garnish)|
|Sugar||1 Teaspoon (For Garnish)|
|Vanilla||1⁄2 Teaspoon (For Garnish)|
|Semi sweet chocolate||1 Ounce, melted and cooled (For Garnish)|
|Unsweetened cocoa||1 Tablespoon (For Garnish)|
|Candied violets||6 (For Garnish)|
Calories 2117 Calories from Fat 634
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 72 g111.3%
Saturated Fat 40.6 g203.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 143.3 mg
Sodium 45.9 mg1.9%
Total Carbohydrates 347 g115.8%
Dietary Fiber 28.5 g113.9%
Sugars 139.6 g
Protein 18 g36.5%
Vitamin A 14.1% Vitamin C
Calcium 6.1% Iron 11.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. If you are using fresh chestnuts, cut an X on the flat side of each chestnut. Place it in the saucepan, cover with cold water and bring to boil.
2. Cover and boil gently until tender, for about 15 minutes.
3. Remove pan from heat and let stand 15 minutes.
4. Shell chestnuts, removing both hard outer shell and inner brown skin. If using canned chestnuts, simply drain. Reserve 3 whole chestnuts for garnish.
5. Puree chestnuts in a processor until very smooth.
6. Add 3/4 cup superfine sugar, butter, Calvados and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla; puree again until smooth and fluffy. Add 8 ounces melted chocolate; puree until very smooth.
7. Line 4-cup round log-shaped mold or loaf pan with plastic wrap, pressing it until smooth.
8. Pour in chestnut-chocolate mixture, tamping mold down to eliminate air bubbles. Cover it with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
9. For garnishing, unmold log on serving plate, carefully removing plastic wrap. Whip cream with 1 teaspoon sugar and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla until stiff; spread cream evenly over all sides of log, forming barklike ridges with spatula or decorating comb.
10. Drizzle thin lines of chocolate down length of log, using paper pastry cone or fork.
11. Roll the 3 reserved chestnuts in cocoa and arrange on log lengthwise; garnish with candied violets and refrigerate until serving.
12. These may be refrigerated for up to 1 week.
13. Use as needed.