- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Brussel Sprout Soup Recipe
|Chicken stock||12 Cup (192 tbs)|
|Green beans||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Cut In 1" Pieces)|
|Turnip||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), diced|
|Leek||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), thinly sliced|
|Carrots||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), sliced|
|Barley||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Brussel sprouts||1 Pound|
|Green pepper||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), slivered|
|Butter||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
Calories 541 Calories from Fat 185
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 21 g32.1%
Saturated Fat 9.7 g48.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 51.8 mg
Sodium 2061.7 mg85.9%
Total Carbohydrates 64 g21.4%
Dietary Fiber 8.9 g35.6%
Sugars 16.7 g
Protein 26 g52.2%
Vitamin A 83.1% Vitamin C 195.6%
Calcium 9.8% Iron 25.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a pan heat chicken stock to boiling, add beans, turnip, leek, carrots and barley and simmer covering tightly for 30 minutes.
2. Add brussel sprouts, green pepper, salt and pepper and simmer, covered, until all vegetables are tender, 15 minutes.
3. In a small skillet, brown butter lightly and add flour stirring constantly.
4. To simmering soup in the pan add flour mixture bit by bit, stir well after each addition and simmer 2 minutes more after all flour mixture has been added.
5. Serve the creamy vegetable soup with homemade fresh bread.